18 January 2007

Save Money on Your Train Ticket - Method 2

Method 2

When do most people buy their train tickets? Usually in the morning before they step on the train to go to work I hear you say. And in most cases, they would buy a weekly ticket because it is more cost-effective than buying a daily return fare for the 5 work days. Better still, if you also happened to use the train on weekends, you'll get even more out of the weekly ticket.

Ok, so having bought it on Monday morning, the weekly ticket would last until next Sunday. Not bad. But were you aware that if you bought the weekly ticket on the way home from work in the late afternoon, you'll get an extra half day on the ticket for free?

This means if you bought it Monday evening, it would last until next Monday. Sounds almost like a whole extra day on that weekly ticket! But how would I get to work on the first Monday morning?

Simple... just buy a single ticket. Will that really save me money?

Consider this: in your average month, there are 4 weeks. If you were to buy a weekly each Monday morning, you would have to buy 4 weekly tickets that month. For me, a weekly costs me $38, so that's $152 per month. Now let's consider the alternative.

If I buy a single ticket for $5.20 on Monday morning, I then have to buy a weekly on Monday evening for $38. This means the next time I need to buy a ticket is Tuesday morning. Again, I would purchase a single ticket in the morning and a weekly in the evening. The following week, I would purchase the single ticket on Wednesday morning and the weekly in the evening. And the week after that, I would purchase the single ticket on Thursday morning and the weekly that evening.

Now that's 4 weeks gone, and my 4th weekly ticket which I bought on the Thursday will last me not just that week, but until Thursday of the 5th week. It sounds as though I've bought myself an extra 4 days just by buying 4 single tickets for $20.80 all up. So does that mean if I followed this method and bought another single ticket the Friday morning of the 5th week, I've effectively bought 5 days worth of travel for $26? That certainly sounds better than paying $38 for a weekly that I'd mostly be using for 5 days anyhow! Can you see how I've just saved $12 over 5 weeks by simply changing the way I buy my train tickets?

In tomorrow’s article, learn how to save money on your yearly train ticket by making your boss fork up for it first.

No comments: