17 January 2007

Save Money on Your Train Ticket - Method 1

Fed up with CityRail trains running late? Sick of how you always seem to get the stinking hot carriages with no air-conditioning when the day is 35 degrees? There are some things we can't change about the Sydney metropolitan rail system, but there are certainly ways we can make the most out of what we have.

Being someone who loves to find easy ways to save money and a regular train commuter, I just know there must be a way to save money when catching the train. I soon found a number of powerful ways to do just that and will show you 3 of those ways.

Method 1

A number of years ago, I was a uni student commuting to and from uni in the city to the home in the suburbs. Uni students as we know, are not the wealthiest demographic on the planet. In a way, it's a blessing.

Being a uni student having a student card usually always gives you immediate access to major discounts on many many things. One of those things is the humble train ticket.

When I was attending uni, I was able to get a concession on my train tickets, which would only cost me about half the full price of a normal ticket. Since then, things haven't changed much with this concession benefit, so students are still enjoying majorly discounted train travel. But what happens to the concession benefit once you've graduated I hear you ask?

Wouldn't I lose it because I'm no longer a uni student?

Well some people continue with post-graduate studies, and if you enrol in just enough subjects each semester, you'll continue to qualify for the train concession. Not bad.

But let's just say you happened to enrol in some subjects enough to qualify for the train concession, but within the first couple of weeks, decided those subjects weren't really for you. You decide to withdraw from them, and lo and behold, you still hold the train concession. The university's administration office has forgotten to ask for your train concession back. Oh well. I guess you'll just have to make use of it when you by your weekly train ticket to work now don't you? Hmm.... =)

In tomorrow’s article, find out how you can save money on your train ticket by not buying it in the morning.

2 comments:

Ev said...

Sure you are saving money this way, and I know a few people who do this. You have to ask yourself though, do you really want to illegitimately use a consession card (essentially ripping off the government and the transport board) just to save a few dollars?

I'm all for saving money, but I would consider this unethical

Eug said...

That's a very valid comment Arial. I too am aware of people who have done this also and have therefore identified this as a potential way to save money.