15 January 2007

Save Money by Bringing Your Lunch to Work

This has got to be one of the most powerful ways of saving your hard-earned money everyday and probably one of the easiest to convince yourself to do.

We eat lunch each day, and if you're like me, really enjoy eating too! It is one of the pleasures of life. But just because it is something we do everyday, it doesn't mean we have to buy our lunch everyday.

By bringing a home-prepared lunch to work at least a couple of times a week, not only will you be saving money, but you would also be eating healthier meals. I like to think of it as your wallet staying fat, but your waistline staying slim. Now that's a win-win situation!

When I first started working full-time a few years ago, I used to relish at the chance of buying my lunch everyday. It was something I looked forward to. I was be able to try a new thing each day, whether that be a hearty pasta, fragrant curry, gourmet sandwich or the delightful steaming dumplings at my favourite yum cha restaurant.

But soon, things changed. Work became busier, I started getting a bit rotund at the belly and I was wondering where a good portion of my money went. I realised quickly that it was the fact I was spending it all on my lunches. The hype of buying takeaway everyday had lost its sheen.

Where I work, an average satisfying lunch is about $7. This would probably be a large size burger meal, a choice of 2 dishes with rice at a Chinese takeaway or a gourmet tandoori chicken sandwich with mint yoghurt and rocket salad. This meant on an average week, I would be spending around $35! Over a course of a year, this would be a $1,820 expense! And this is the minimum, not including the more expensive lunches at restaurants to farewell a work colleague or a get together with friends at yum cha.

Something had to be done, so I set a goal to try to bring food from home as often as I could. I managed to bring food for 3 of the 5 work days which was pretty good! This meant I saved a good $21 during the week! I was still able to “treat” myself to a bought lunch twice a week so I certainly wasn't denying myself anything.

Most of the time, I would bring leftover dinner from the night before which was perfectly fine with me. Sometimes, it would be a simple but absolutely delicious spaghetti noodles with a can of warmed flavoured tuna stirred through when the dinner wasn't really appropriate to bring to work.

Over a number of months, I found I was able to easily bring my lunch in 5 days a week. I was still able to lunch with my friends, but this simply meant we'd have to dine at a food court or in a park where I would bring my preheated lunch whilst they bought their own.

Occassionally now, I treat myself to a bought lunch. People at work still leave, so there are still the farewell lunches. And now and then, I indulge in a yum cha lunch with colleagues or friends. I was able to find balance and moderation in my lunching habits! My waistline stabilised, and even begun to shrink! I was a happier person indeed.

This was a few years ago, and with the money I've saved by bringing my lunch to work everyday, it greatly contributed to a deposit towards an investment property which I'm now the proud owner! Imagine having that extra $35 a week. What could you do with that?

I personally don't feel I'm missing out on anything by bringing my lunch in as often as I do. So I urge you to start bringing your lunch in from now on. Not only will your wallet thank you, but so will your body!

No comments: